Sunday, January 15, 2012

Broken Leg



Last Sunday, Porter broke his leg. I want to tell the whole thing so I don't forget, but feel free to skip the boring parts.
It was about 4:30 when I heard a loud crash from the boy's room and then Porter started screaming. I ran in there and picked him up trying to figure out where he hurt himself. Apparently he fell off the ladder on the bunk bed. Nobody saw exactly how it happened but I found him on the floor next to the ladder when I went in. He screamed for about 15 minutes and then calmed down. We tried to get him to stand up, but he refused to put weight on his leg. I was really worried about it and was trying to decide if we needed to head to the emergency room but decided to call my friend first. She is a doctor and is pretty laid back about things and was really helpful. She said to wait a while and see how he acted. She said that if it wasn't visibly deformed or bone sticking out anywhere it wasn't going to hurt him to wait. I gave him some medicine and we watched and waited. A few of my siblings came over to hang out. Porter seemed happy and content, but still refused to put weight on his leg. I talked to my friend again and she said it wouldn't hurt to wait till Monday to take him in, so we decided to wait. Monday morning I called and set up an appointment, taught Joy School and then took him in. They splinted his leg and then sent us over to the hospital for x-rays. Porter did amazing with all the doctors. He seemed a little nervous but never cried. It took a few hours to get everything taken care of, but we finally got the results back saying it was a simple fracture on his tibia just below his knee. They wanted to make sure all the swelling went down before they casted it, so we had a long week with the splint. He picked a green cast and did awesome when they put it on. He only has to have it on for 3 weeks, but he's not allowed to put any weight on it. I'm sure he'll figure out how to crawl or do whatever he needs to do to be able to get around. He is still a bit grumpy but I think he is starting to feel a little better now that it is in a cast. I've never broken a bone so this was all new to me and a little scary. It breaks my heart to see my kids get hurt, but he really has handled it pretty well.

No comments: