Friday, August 7, 2009

Yosemite Day 2... Survival of the Fittest

A picture is worth a thousand words.
We decided to hike up to see Vernal Falls. The original plan was to go beyond Vernal Falls and up to Nevada falls as well making it a 3 mile round trip hike. (not really) No problem right?
The first mile was no problem. It was steep, but well paved and great for the strollers.

After the viewing point from the bottom of the falls, we had to make some decisions. We decided to hide the strollers and head for the top. The squirrels came right up to you all along the trail hoping for some food.

The trail was okay for the first little while without the strollers and the kids were having fun.

And then it got steep!


I had to take quite a few breaks on the way up the stairs. Toby was a trooper and carried Zeke almost the whole way up and never complained.


Kristel and I kept about the same pace and stopped for water breaks together. It was funny hearing people walk past her and make comments about her bringing her 2 month old baby up there.

We don't have many pictures of us as a family so it's nice to have gotten a couple on the hike... even though we aren't exactly looking our best.

Finally we made it to the top. They have a lookout where you can look right off the top of the falls. It made Toby a little nervous and he kept telling me to hold on to Zeke tighter.

The last half of our hike was enough for me and I was ready to head back down for lunch after that. As some of you might know, I am big into eating on time :) The rest of the Lander clan had another plan, however, and decided to hike up further to catch a glimpse of Nevada Falls. Lance (my brother-in-law) and I stayed behind with the kids and waited for them to get back all the while growing more and more hungry.

After listening to the kids cry for as long as I could handle, being tired, hungry and ready to go I pretty much lost it. Yep, I grabbed Zeke and headed back down the trail. Thank heavens for a perceptive husband that came back early and carried Zeke down the trail for me. We made it down much faster than going up and got on the bus to get back to the cars. Toby and I got off where the cars and food were, but everyone else stayed on. After waiting ever so patiently (not) for them to figure out the right stop to get off at, we had lunch.... Finally!
Thankfully, we just stopped at a couple lookout points to see Half Dome before heading back. Needless to say, I went to bed as early as I could that night.

No comments: