Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nighttime

I LOVE sleep.

I NEED sleep.

Unfortunately I was one of those cursed to need at least 8 hours of sleep per night. Actually, I function my very best with 9. The problem is... I'm a mom. Ask any mom whether or not she gets 8 hours of sleep a night. At least moms of little kids. It just doesn't happen.

Take last night for instance:

Everyone in my family is sick. Toby and I decided that we should try to go to bed early and got to bed by 10pm. (wow I know) Within 2 minutes my phone started beeping saying I have a text. I can't stand not knowing who is texting me so I get up and answer. That starts a conversation with my brother.

At 10:30 I leave the texting to go get Porter who is crying. I feed him hoping that now I will get a big chunk of sleep in a row. I put Porter back in bed and go back to bed.

2 hours later Zeke comes running (yes running) into my room and around the bed saying "Mom, hold you". I pull him into bed, give him a hug and lay there for a minute telling myself to get up and put him back in bed. (it is impossible to sleep with Zeke in my bed) I finally send Zeke back to bed and then follow him in order to "tuck him".

1 hour later, Porter starts crying. He isn't crying hard so I leave him hoping he'll go back to sleep. After 3 minutes, Zeke runs back into my room. "Mom, Porter's crying!" I tell him I know and to go back to bed. I go get Porter and feed him (face it, I'm a sucker and it's the fastest way to get him back to bed).

1.5 hours later I hear Porter and Zeke. I look up and see a light on down the hall. I yell for Zeke to turn the light off in his room. I run in finding Zeke sitting on the floor saying he fell down trying to turn off the light and turn the light off myself. I grab Porter and try to soothe him and get him back to sleep. I tell Zeke to be quiet over and over because he keeps yelling at me to "tuck him". I finally get Porter calm, and tuck Zeke in and walk into the hall to go back to bed. Toby is up getting a drink of orange juice. I crawl back in bed.

15 minutes later Toby asks me where the heating pad is. I help him plug it in behind the bed because his arm is too big to fit.

1.5 hours later Porter is crying. I get up and feed him and decide that I don't want to put him back in with Zeke so I make a bed for him on the living room floor. I go back to bed.

7am rolls around and Porter is waking up. I leave him for as long as I dare before getting him so he doesn't wake up Zeke.

I wish I could say that last night was the exception and that every other night I get a decent amount of sleep. Not so. I have a love/hate relationship with nighttime. I love going to bed but hate it at the same time because I know it's going to be a long exhausting night. Ahhh... the joys of motherhood.

4 comments:

Ceci and Steven said...

what are you doing to me? don't you know I'm weeks away from this and can't turn back now? you should have posted this um say 9 months ago! ;) that stinks! do you at least get to nap during the day at all? I'm not excited for this part of motherhood. sending you sympathy vibes! :)

Tiffany said...

I'm just like you. I need 9-10 hours of sleep a night to feel like myself.

But the 'no-sleep' phase does pass. The endless interruptions slowly fade out until one night you go to bed extremely tired, and the next morning wake up refreshed... and then realize you haven't see your baby all night and rush into their room to make sure everything okay :)

Stephanie said...

I can very much empathize with this post. Sometimes I wonder, had I known it would be this difficult after kids came into the picture, would I still have chosen to be a mom? I like to think I would have, because I do really love the little buggars, but some mornings I too wake up having had little to no sleep and that thought really does run through my mind. I'm holding onto the hope that sleep will someday exist again. Hang in there Cous'! Someday WILL come!

Radene said...

Oh Karissa, I'm sorry. what a night! I hope you can get more sleep soon!