Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 2

First we went on a city tour of Djenne. Here Daniel is helping a boy draw water from the well.

A view from the rooftop of our hotel looking toward the city.

With our local guide on top of one of the buildings.

I just loved this picture.

I bought that cute bracelet on my arm from this lady. (I got ripped off, but didn't know it at the time.) Bargaining there is soooo hard. I'm not very good at it, but I had to learn fast or I would get stuck with the Tababo (white person) price.

A view of the Djenne Mosque with the market below. They have to re-mud the buildings every year. That's what all of the sticks are for. They use those to stand on in order to reach to re-mud.

Another view of the Mosque and the market.

Attempting a balancing act. Those women are amazing. They carry a huge, heavy load on there head, tie their baby on their back and then fill their arms with things.

A look at the busy market. It was packed and nearly impossible to move through the people and donkeys in some places.

I made Toby take a picture with me in front of the Mosque. I almost got some semblance of a smile.

This is where they sell all the different kinds of rice. I'm pretty sure we tasted quite a few varieties while we were there.

This woman is sweeping the sewer/drain. The people had a chimney type thing that they would use as a bathroom. When it was full, they unstopped the bottom, let it drain and then stopped it back up again.

We stand out a little bit.
Everywhere we went, each of us had a following of a group of kids. Here is Daniel with his.

Look at the teeth on those things! Appetizing huh?

They fill those boats to the brim. Seriously, how do they stay afloat? Djenne is across the river so we had to take a ferry to get there.

We had people trying to sell us stuff everytime we turned around. And they do NOT take no for an answer. It's impossible to get away unless you get in your car and leave.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Holy cow! I LOVE these pictures. I can hardly believe you were there just last month!