Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 15 A jouney's end

Day 15: The big city of Bamako and then time to go home.
We all couldn't wait to get back to the Grand Hotel and their amazing breakfast. Seriously, it was soooo good. Fresh squeeze orange juice, omelettes, and fresh fruit.
The Bamako museum was actually really modern. They had detailed models of the most famous mosques. I'm pretty sure this is the Djenne mosque that Toby is standing by.
A picture with Sysoku, our driver.
They have scrap metal down to and art. Every piece of metal was used to make something else, such as wheelbarrows.
A view of the busy city. Wouldn't you love having your toddler play right there next to the road.

Sysoku invited us to his home to meet his family. Aren't they a good looking group?

Music is the universal language so we sang them 2 songs. Here we are singing a rousing round of popcorn popping.
Then they gave us their lunch. I felt bad eating their food, but they wanted us to eat it. They made us eat it Malian style... all out of the same bowl. This was a little scary because it was the one time we ate the food that had not been prepared specifically for us. Nothing like wild tomatoes, fish heads and rice for lunch.... yum!

These are a couple pictures of the Fettish market. I didn't want to look at this stuff so I went back to the artisan market. You'll have to ask how all of this is used. Sounds like it is similar to voodoo.

Well, that's it! After finishing some last minute shopping, and finally finding a nativity set, we packed up and headed to the airpot. There were a couple times I thought we might miss our connecting flights, but I wouldn't have it. It was time to get back to my baby. It was an amazing adventure and one that I will never forget. I love the United States and we are so blessed to be here!!!!

3 comments:

Brad and Lorilee said...

Wow, I'm so glad you posted all your days of your trip! What an amazing jouney you had! I'm excited to get to see you in March and I'm sure you can tell me more about it when i'm there and can see all the stuff you bought!

Kerri said...

Thanks, Karissa, for all your pics and comments. What an amazing trip.

Racquel & Aidan Goodwin said...

Hey karissa! i loved reading about your trip...and you said you haven't been up to anything! you can check out my blog i also have a link to erica's blog she is the Jessops on there if you want to check her out! anyways it's so good to see you were are in utah too so we should get together sometime!(we could make some waffles!)